So we just got back from a fabulous vacation in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Vacation was wonderful, but 2 things happened to make me stop and think, also combined with out trip to an amusement park back in June.
I now have a completely different view on thrill rides. Growing up I used to love them. Rode all the rides at Cedar Point, even went on the Blue Streak without the seat belt. Now that I am a mother and my kids are starting to do some of these things....now I thinking about the potential dangers! When did this happen? The first little spinney ride at the amusement park took us up in the air, all I could think about was my little girls slipping out and falling.
Anyway, the first day of vacation the Atlantic was really rough, but it was the first day and we were all excited to get into the water. Ben and I did not go out that far..or so we thought, but just as I realized we needed to head back in, it was too late, we were trapped in a Rip Tide. The first scary realization I had was coming to the conclusion that Ben and I could not help each other out of it, we had to both fend for ourselves, Ben was behind me and I had to turn by back on him and try swimming out of it, leaving him to his own devices. But I was struggling bad, and I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh, I don't think this is going to end well, we are going to drown right in front of our kids!" They were splashing in the waves with my cousin, who was watching us, but had no idea that we were caught and were struggling, not just having fun. Since I am sitting here typing this, of course, it did end well for us. Waves finally cleared and we could touch bottom and walk out again. Whew... the rest of the vacation, water was so different, last day there was not even an undertow.
But the 4 day of vacation we para sailed. Sounded like lots of fun, until we were up there. Its completely quite and still--giving us lots of time to think. We are suspended by 2 metal clips and one rope..hmmm...thats secure! When the boat went faster or the wind picked up we went backwards a bit and the metal clips and chains would creak.
Now 10 years ago, Ben and I would have been fine with this, and we would have walked off that beach laughing, not shaking. Not sure what changed exactly, is it that we are now looking at middle age and no longer assume that we are indestructible, or is it because we have two little girls that depend on us, or perhaps a combination of the two.
Not sure how or why, but my views of things have certainly changed.
Sunday, August 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment